What is Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate Treatment Utilizing the Angel System?
The Arthrex Angel System is a fully automatic, innovative blood and bone marrow processing system employed in the field of orthopedic surgery for preparation of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and bone marrow aspirate concentration (BMAC). It is a start-of-the-art device that provides customized PRP formulations from whole blood or bone marrow aspirate utilizing its advanced technology.
BMAC is a concentrate of regenerative stem cells obtained from your own bone marrow. Bone marrow is the soft, spongy tissue that is found in the center of bones, including your hip or pelvic bone. Bone marrow is the section of the body where blood is generated. The stem cells from BMAC are specialized cells that are known to replicate themselves into various types of tissues and help to speed up the healing process by boosting the body’s natural healing abilities and promote tissue growth.
Indications for Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate Treatments Utilizing the Angel System
Some of the indications for BMAC include:
- Osteoarthritis of the joints
- Improve wound healing
- Osteonecrosis (bone death)
- Improve tendon healing
- Treat fractures of the bones
- Delay progression of the disease, such as arthritis
- Treat cartilage injuries
Preparation for Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate Treatments Utilizing Angel System
In general, preparation for BMAC treatments includes the following:
- A thorough examination by your doctor to check for any medical issues that need to be addressed prior to the procedure.
- Depending on your medical history, social history, and age, routine blood work and imaging may be ordered for safely conducting the procedure.
- You will be asked if you have any allergies to medications, anesthesia, or latex.
- Inform your doctor of any medications, vitamins, or supplements that you may be taking.
- Eat a balanced diet that is low in fat and high in protein.
- Drink lots of water for a few days leading up to the treatment.
- Refrain from alcohol or tobacco at least 24 hours prior to the procedure.
- Avoid NSAIDs (Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs) or blood thinners a week before the procedure.
- Arrange an escort to drive you home after the procedure.
- A written consent will be obtained from you after the procedure has been explained in detail.
Procedure for Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate Treatments Utilizing Angel System
The BMAC treatment procedure utilizing the Angel System involves the following:
- The skin over the injection site is sterilized and numbed with a local anesthetic.
- A suction syringe attached to a long needle is inserted into the back of your hip bone.
- The bone marrow is suctioned out through a small needle puncture in the bone.
- The collected bone marrow is transferred to the Angel System for processing.
- The obtained sample undergoes thorough processing and bone marrow concentrate with specialized cells is obtained.
- The concentrate is collected into a sterile syringe.
- The concentrate is then injected into the treatment site using ultrasound as a guide.
- The whole procedure takes about 2 hours to complete and you can go home the same day.
The number of BMAC treatments required depends on the degree of the injury and will be decided by your surgeon.
Post-Procedure Care and Instructions
Post-procedure care and instructions will include the following:
- Avoid strenuous activities for a couple of days.
- Apply ice on the injection site for comfort.
- Rest, elevation, and medicines are recommended to relieve pain and swelling.
- Gentle range of motion exercises is recommended.
- Avoid anti-inflammatory medications for at least two weeks.
- A follow-up appointment will be scheduled to monitor your progress.
Risks and Complications of BMAC Treatments
BMAC treatment is a relatively safe procedure; however, as with any procedure, there are risks and complications that could occur, such as:
- Damage to blood vessels and nerves
- Pain, swelling, or soreness at the injection site
- Blood clots
Benefits of BMAC Treatments
BMAC treatment offers several potential benefits, including:
- Minimal invasion and discomfort
- Safe, feasible treatment option
- Reduced inflammation and less pain
- Robust healing of the injured or damaged tissue
- Decreased chronic orthopedic conditions